Sunday 28 June 2015

Rosie welcomes Gold Award winner - Julia M Forster

Author of Shadow Jumper

It's my pleasure to welcome Julia to this blog and to share the privilege of getting to know her. It's always a delight meeting other authors and having the opportunity to share their work with all you guys who drop in -but in this case you're hitting gold because Julia carried home a Gold Award from, The Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards.




'The Shadow Jumper' is Julia's debut - and what a debut. It's selling its socks off in the US and the UK - a sure sign of a book that captures the imagination. And, judging by the reviews, it's appealing to both kids and adults. (I've attached links to the book at the end of the interview.)
Furthermore, not sparing Julia's blushes, I asked for her advice and she came right back with suggestions which have already proved immensely valuable. So not only a talented author but also a generous spirit! (Time after time I get blown away by the supportive nature of other indie authors.)

Let's crack on with the interview, and getting to know Julia.

So, Julia, what started you off on your writing journey?
I only started writing properly about six years ago. Reading stories to my own children made me think I’d like to give it a go and I’ve always loved reading, so it seemed a natural thing to do.

But have you always written?
I have to be honest and say no. I dabbled a bit with writing stories when I was a child, but I didn’t consider it something I could do for a job and get paid for. I didn’t give writing a second thought until I was in my forties! I didn’t even write a diary. I always loved English at school, though. I studied it in the sixth form and did a degree in English Literature, so I guess a love of the written word has always been there.

Yes. it sounds like it was there just waiting to be happen. I'm always interested to know where other folks like to write. Where's your favourite place? 
It depends on what I’m doing. If it’s a first draft, I use my laptop in the sitting room of my house. It’s the warmest room in the morning as it gets the sun. If I’m editing I go in the study; I’ve got a computer in there with two screens which makes the whole editing process a lot easier. Either way I don’t tend to sit down for too long at a time, various aches and pains set in! And I need to have quiet – no music or radio for me.
I'm the same, I can't cope with any distractions!

Let's have a couple of silly questions now. What's your favourite ice-cream?
Oooh, there are some many brilliant flavours. I’m torn between chocolate chip and strawberries and cream.

And the best film EVER?!
I love a good romantic comedy, so it has to be Four Weddings and a Funeral. It came out in 1994, a particularly poignant year for me as I got married in July of that year.
Schindler’s List sticks in my mind too, but for different reasons. And it’s not one I’ve been able to watch more than once.

A slightly more serious question. Some folk have some 'thing' that means a lot to them, it's often an object which has special memories. If you had to choose something special, what would it be?
I’m not the kind of person who treasures things, people are more important to me. They are not a possession but my two boys are very much treasured.

As a mum, I totally get that! On a lighter note, if you had to choose one species of animal, what would it be?
Probably a dog. I had one as a child and have many fond memories. My son wants us to get a cat though, so I may have to change my mind.
I'm with your son; my husband and I are dotty about our cats!

Okay and now I'm going to ask you to choose just one book from your childhood!
Only one? That’s impossible. If you twist my arm C.S. Lewis’s The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is probably my all-time favourite.

So presumably C.S.Lewis has been an inspiration, but who else has influenced your work?
I have to say I love Agatha Christie’s books. The plotting’s so clever. And I also admire Michael Grant for his Gone series. They’re really gripping.

And now for a bit of nosiness, what are you working on at present?
I’ve got two projects on the go. One is a follow-on from Shadow Jumper, with many of the same characters, and the other is another mystery/adventure story called Bad Hair Days. Both are aimed at ten to fourteen year olds.

In all your writing so far, have you a favourite phrase, or sentence which you’ve written?
Not really. When I re-read what I’ve written I tend to cringe! I think writers are cursed with having an invisible gremlin sitting on their shoulders whispering in their ears that their writing is not good enough. That’s why it’s so brilliant to hear from readers that they love what I’ve written. And winning Gold medals in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards really helps too.
I think you can dismiss that gremlin, Julia!

And lastly, have you any plans for your literary future?
Write more books and try to write them quicker!

Now you can click on the links to be taken to Julia's book and websites.


For the UK link to The Shadow Jumper , click HERE
For the US link to The Shadow Jumper , click HERE



Titles:
Shadow Jumper (ISBN: 978-0-9930709-0-7)

You can find Julia at:-
Or at her facebook page

Or on twitter at https://twitter.com/JM_Forster

Awards:

Gold Award for 9-12 year old category in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards 2014

Thanks for stopping by folks, see you soon. x

No comments:

Post a Comment