Friday 30 March 2018

Reviews

A sensitive topic!


I assume that most folk reading this blog are people who may have come across my books, or folk interested in the county of Cornwall or its Arthurian link. 

Rubin Eynon:Gallos
The beautiful sculpture of  King Arthur at Tintagel in Cornwall

So I usually write about something to do with one of these topics. 

This time I’m going to touch on a particularly sensitive area. Reviews. 
Bear with me - you'll understand why this is especially important to me in a moment.

Anyone who makes or creates anything which can be reviewed knows the power of a few words. These words can make or break a product; they can build or demoralise.
A good review is the best thing that any maker or creator can ask for. To know that someone liked what you made, or in my case, wrote, is a like a bubble of joy.

When I was teaching I was only too aware of how easily a child could be discouraged. I knew the importance of constant encouragement to foster their growth and self-confidence. There was nothing better than heaping praise on a kid and seeing the glow plastered on their face.

Whatever our age or stage in life, I think we all need encouragement. Even those who appear confident on the outside are probably harbouring secret doubts about themselves or their work. 
Consequently, a few months ago I was seriously discouraged when someone posted a very negative review of ‘The Golden Sword’ in the U.S.. Granted it was probably somebody young who doesn’t understand the power of his negativity (both on me and on other potential readers), but it still stung and it’s still there as the latest review.

So I’m going to do something I’ve never done; I’m going to ask a favour of you.

If you have read one or other of my books, and enjoyed them, would you be prepared to take a couple of minutes to post a review on Amazon? I would especially welcome some in the USA and the UK; although wherever they are posted in the world, my day would be well and truly made.

Thank you :) .

Meanwhile the latest in The Camelot’s Inheritance series is cooking nicely. That’s why there have been very few blog posts of late. I would estimate that I have maybe three chapters left to write - although the editing and illustrating will be a lengthy process at the end of all the scribbling.

Oh, and I nearly forgot! I was all set to run a competition this month but I’m waiting for some of the prizes to arrive, so keep watching this blog or my Facebook page for news. I’m hoping to have it up and running in April.

In the meantime, here are a few photos that I've taken of my beloved Cornwall from winter through to the promise of spring. 

The mysterious standing stones
on Bodmin Moor - ten minutes from our front door.

An abandoned engine house
above the mine workings on the moor.

Just beautiful.

The south coast close to the setting for
The Golden Sword

Looe - known as Pendrym in The Camelot Inheritance series.
The snow was melting so we were able to negotiate the lanes. 

Another gorgeous spot - just off from
Kingsand on the Rame Peninsula.
And soon - spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment